CCB #3: Power Distance
Just the week, I had to form a group for my multimedia course. This friendly girl who shall remain nameless asked me to be apart of her group. I figure that it will not hurt to be with her. Few days later, I receive an e-mail stating “I am the LEADER”. Realizing that this girl must be power hungry, and being a bit mad because she did not ask permission of other group members, I replied “are you a control free?”
Although my response was a bit immature, I felt as if we should all have an equal vote on choosing who should be the leader, instead of just stating you are the leader. She might have greater knowledge as well as experience, but I prefer if there were not any leaders as all and we each contribute equally instead of being classified under certain functional roles. According to adler & rowman, I am classified as “ low power distance norm, which is less likely to feel that groups need a leader or people who do occupy that role automatically deserve unquestionable obedience”. However, I dislike the fact that people do not consider what other people think. Although, she might have been friendly in the beginning, I find that her e-mail was rude and despite the fact that I am in her group, I do not like being bossed by a person who does not consider peoples thoughts or feelings. Even if you are from another culture and have a different approach or feeling about a power distance, you should consider group member’s thoughts and feelings before deciding if there should be a leader or not, or who should be the leader.
Bibliography
Adler, Ronald, and Rodman, George. Understanding Human Communication 9th ed. New York: Oxford University Press, 2006.
Although my response was a bit immature, I felt as if we should all have an equal vote on choosing who should be the leader, instead of just stating you are the leader. She might have greater knowledge as well as experience, but I prefer if there were not any leaders as all and we each contribute equally instead of being classified under certain functional roles. According to adler & rowman, I am classified as “ low power distance norm, which is less likely to feel that groups need a leader or people who do occupy that role automatically deserve unquestionable obedience”. However, I dislike the fact that people do not consider what other people think. Although, she might have been friendly in the beginning, I find that her e-mail was rude and despite the fact that I am in her group, I do not like being bossed by a person who does not consider peoples thoughts or feelings. Even if you are from another culture and have a different approach or feeling about a power distance, you should consider group member’s thoughts and feelings before deciding if there should be a leader or not, or who should be the leader.
Bibliography
Adler, Ronald, and Rodman, George. Understanding Human Communication 9th ed. New York: Oxford University Press, 2006.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home